Topical Treatments For Psoriasis
What is psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a common skin disorder affecting equally in men and women, may occur at any age, and tends to come and go unpredictably. It is not contagious from one person to another and does not form scars on the skin. Patches of psoriasis are red and covered by silvery white scale. These patches (also called plaques) usually occur on the knees, elbows, trunk or scalp, but may occur on any area of the skin. The patches of psoriasis are the result of a process occurring in the skin that leads to thickened, inflamed scaly skin. The cause of psoriasis is not known. It sometimes occurs in family members or family members from a previous generation (genetic cause). Sometimes psoriasis is triggered by an outside event such as a sore throat, stress or an injury to the skin.If you want Psoriasis Treatment You are strongly recommended to Visit http://adityanskinclinic.com to know more about Psoriasis Treatment In Madurai that cure your skin disease by healing of your immune system.
What are topical treatments?
Treatments that are applied directly to the skin are known as topical treatments. They are the main type of treatment prescribed for most patients with psoriasis. More severe psoriasis may need a variety of other treatments including ultraviolet light or special tablets. However, most patients on these further treatments will still need to continue to use topical treatments.
What are the main topical treatments used for psoriasis?
The aim of the treatment of psoriasis is to reduce the inflamed, thickened scaly patches. Quite often different treatments will be recommended for different body sites and for most stubborn areas combinations of different treatments may produce better results. Treatments for psoriasis include the following:
1) Emollients (moisturisers) - Emollients help to moisturise dry skin. They ease itching and dryness, reduce scaling, soften cracked areas and help promote the penetration of other topical treatments. They should be used as a soap substitute when bathing or washing, and should also be put on before the specific topical psoriasis treatment prescribed. It is usual to allow about 30 minutes after applying an emollient before applying other psoriasis treatments. Very mild psoriasis may respond to treatment with emollients alone. Emollients should be applied liberally and often.
2) Emollients containing salicylic acid - Topical preparations that contain salicylic acid can help reduce excessive scaling but may sometimes irritate the surrounding skin.
3) Topical steroids - Topical steroids can help inflamed skin. The weaker topical steroids can be helpful on the face or in the skin folds for short courses. The stronger topical steroids may be useful on thickened plaques of psoriasis and on the palms and soles.
4)There is a tendency for psoriasis to return quickly when topical steroid treatment stops especially if stronger steroids have been used. The use of topical steroids should be closely monitored by your doctor.
5) Tar preparations - Your doctor may prescribe a medicated tar bath that will help to remove loose scales from the patches of psoriasis. Other tar preparations take the form of creams or ointments or shampoos. These help most patients, but many find them messy and they can stain clothing. Crude tar, which is messy, can be applied by a dermatology nurse in a hospital setting.
6) Dithranol - Dithranol is good for chronic scaly psoriasis in selected areas and can be prescribed for use at home. Dithranol is almost always used as short contact therapy and by trained nursing staff.
The treatment of psoriasis on the limbs and trunk will usually be with the preparations described above, and prescribed by your doctor, but some areas need special treatments. The scalp is affected in up to 80% of patients with psoriasis. The presence of hair makes the use of ointments and cream-based topical treatments difficult. Scalp psoriasis requires special scalp treatments
including strong topical steroid liquid preparations. Special gels, sprays and shampoos may also be helpful.
However If you need best solution for your psoriasis you should take treatment from Psoriasis Treatment In Madurai.If you want to learn more about the causes of psoriasis, symptoms, and most popular treatments and solutions, please visit http://adityanskinclinic.com.